WordPress.org

Making WordPress.org

Opened 8 months ago

Closed 8 months ago

Last modified 8 months ago

#2715 closed defect (fixed)

Plugin Search: Jetpack sync for plugin updates not working

Reported by: gibrown Owned by: tellyworth
Milestone: Plugin Directory v3.0 Priority: high
Component: Plugin Directory Keywords:
Cc:

Description

I'm not sure the extent of the problem, but there are at least two cases where a plugin is in the WP.org DB but not getting correctly synced via Jetpack (and hence not in the index properly).

The two cases I know of are:

May or may not be related to each other, but I'm wondering if something got broken with sync during the launch. However, I have seen plugins get updated since then, so it could also be some corner case we were not aware of before.

Change History (20)

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #meta by gibrown. View the logs.


8 months ago

#2 @tellyworth
8 months ago

  • Owner set to tellyworth
  • Status changed from new to accepted

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #meta by gibrown. View the logs.


8 months ago

#4 @Ipstenu
8 months ago

  • Summary changed from Jetpack sync for plugin updates not working to Plugin Search: Jetpack sync for plugin updates not working

#5 @symptote
8 months ago

Any update please to this ticket?

#6 @Easify
8 months ago

My plugin submitted over a week ago, and not showing in search results.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/easify-server-woocommerce/

#7 @gibrown
8 months ago

The Jetpack connection has been fixed now, and I've just started a bulk resync. There is a potential ongoing problem due to the way wp.org adds localization to the beginning of the domain (eg es.wordpress.org/plugins). That is getting fixed in this PR: https://github.com/Automattic/jetpack/pull/5852 which will hopefully make it into the May release of Jetpack.

Will retest search in a few hours.

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #meta by gibrown. View the logs.


8 months ago

#9 @gibrown
8 months ago

Hmmm, and now we are back to not being properly connected even though the bulk sync had been going well.

On the plus side, I don't think it's gotten any worse, and I think some plugins did get synced and updated.

#10 @Easify
8 months ago

I just checked and my plugin is still not showing in the plugin search. https://wordpress.org/plugins/easify-server-woocommerce/

#11 @symptote
8 months ago

Same thing with my plugin, no changes in search results https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-database-cleaner/

#12 @Easify
8 months ago

Is there any way you guys could manually enter us into the index? We're kind of dead in the water here while the system gets fixed.

#13 @calvinyeh
8 months ago

We're not found in any search as well (only if someone types in 'time.ly') - we aren't found under the common names - ie. calendar, events, etc.. We update our plugin regularly, have 100,000+ installs and a 4.2 rating. https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-event-calendar/

Thanks!

#14 follow-up: @gibrown
8 months ago

OK, I think this is (finally) fixed. Hopefully will stay that way.

@Easify @symptote both of your plugins seem to be showing up now. Thanks for your patience.

@calvinyeh your plugin isn't working because it does not have a tested version of WP specified so it is defaulting to v1.0 which of course hurts it's ranking a lot. Updating/fixing your readme should take care of it.

And hmmm... I don't seem to be able to mark this as fixed... will figure that out... but maybe @tellyworth or @Ipstenu can help.

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #meta by gibrown. View the logs.


8 months ago

#16 @Otto42
8 months ago

@gibrown They do have a Tested up to line in their readme.txt file though.

https://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/all-in-one-event-calendar/tags/2.5.18/readme.txt

#17 @symptote
8 months ago

@gibrown,

Thank you very much for your great work. My plugin is now showing up in search results as expected. Hopefully will stay that way.

Many thanks.

#19 @Otto42
8 months ago

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from accepted to closed

Okay then. Closing as fixed.

@calvinyeh To fix your readme.txt file, you need to fix the Tags line. Note that we only allow 5 tags now, and they should all be on the same line, not on multiple lines.

In addition, "Requires WordPress at least:" is the wrong header. It should be "Requires at least:" instead. Please refer to the example readme.txt file to get the formatting correct: https://wordpress.org/plugins/files/2016/06/readme.txt

The new directory is more particular than the old one was, so these things matter more.

#20 in reply to: ↑ 14 @Easify
8 months ago

Thanks for all your hard work guys, search is now working as advertised for us.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.