Opened 5 years ago

Closed 5 years ago

Last modified 5 years ago

#4869 closed defect (bug) (wontfix)

Unexpected "Failure occurred processing one or more externals definitions" error for SVN checkout

Reported by: danielbachhuber's profile danielbachhuber Owned by:
Milestone: Priority: normal
Component: Version Control Keywords:



I'm seeing this error when making a SVN checkout in CircleCI:

svn: E205011: Failure occurred processing one or more externals definitions

Exited with code 1

Is this a known issue? Any workarounds?


Change History (5)

#1 @sethta
5 years ago

This is due to rate limiting added to the SVNs:

It depends on what you need it for.

If you only need it for the WP testing library, then you can add --ignore-externals the the end of your svn co command, which will not download the WP importer plugin.

If you need that plugin (or any other plugin) for testing, then I'm not sure of a workaround. Maybe add a way to pull any of those plugins from git?

Last edited 5 years ago by sethta (previous) (diff)

#2 @thomasplevy
5 years ago


I'm having this same issue.

For my personal use case the install script can be tweaked with --ignore-externals and my tests continue to run without issue (and probably slightly faster now since I'm not pulling in unnecessary resources, thanks!).

I'm looking through how I've gotten to where I am and it looks like I'm using a tests install script that I forked from the file generated when running wp scaffold plugin-tests {slug} via the WP CLI.

You can see this line in the script generated by WP-CLI:

svn co --quiet${WP_TESTS_TAG}/tests/phpunit/data/ $WP_TESTS_DIR/data

So I feel it's likely there's a lot of us (plugin devs) who have been frustrated by this issue the past few days and assuming the rate limiting doesn't go away (and who am I to say whether or not it should, I'm sure it serves a good purpose and I'm not arguing that at all!) this should probably be addressed in the CLI, right?

I'm not much of a core contributor myself and I just went searching around to try to find if trac or GitHub was the proper place to address this but I couldn't figure it out. I don't like complaining so I'm willing to help with that but I don't know the right place to raise the point!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the --ignore-externals that's got my tests running again already.

#3 @danielbachhuber
5 years ago

  • Resolution set to wontfix
  • Status changed from new to closed

@sethta --ignore-externals worked great for me, thanks!

@thomasplevy I literally submitted a pull request to WP-CLI as you submitted your comment:

#4 @thomasplevy
5 years ago

@danielbachhuber ahhh thanks!

#5 @tareiking
5 years ago

--ignore-externals also worked a treat for some projects using circleci who were rate limited as well. Thank you @sethta and @danielbachhuber 😉

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.