WordPress.org

Making WordPress.org

Opened 8 months ago

Closed 6 months ago

Last modified 6 months ago

#5583 closed task (fixed)

Convert incorrect usage of "email" i Czech translations

Reported by: tobifjellner Owned by: dd32
Milestone: Priority: low
Component: Translate Site & Plugins Keywords:
Cc:

Description

The Meta team can help the #cs_CZ team to streamline the fixing of all strings that use the incorrect term "email" and replace is with "e-mail" (with hyphen).

So this is the request more specifically:

For all CURRENT strings where the translation to cs_CZ contains the sub-string "email" or "Email", generate a parallel, pending translation string where the matched sub-string is replaced with "e-mail" or "E-mail", respectively.

After this, the locale team will manually check and approve/fix these strings.

Any clarifications needed will be given by @kalich5 GTE for cs_CZ

Change History (16)

#1 @tobifjellner
8 months ago

If feasible, then the pending string could be generated as "translated by" the same user that is marked as translator for the current string.

#2 @dd32
8 months ago

  • Owner set to dd32
  • Priority changed from normal to low
  • Status changed from new to accepted

This seems like a reasonable request, and I'll take a stab at it once I know what the actual level of work involved is.

A quick overview would be to...

  • Find all currently active strings that contain email in cs_CZ locale in all projects (core, meta, plugins, themes)
  • Filter out translations which have a suggested variant that does NOT contain email
  • Suggest a new translation with case-matching str_replace( email, e-mail ) & str_replace( Email, E-mail ) authored by the source translation string.

Marking as low priority, but I'll probably get to this over the next week or so, tasks permitting, do ping me if by end of next week you've not heard back from me @tobifjellner

#3 @kalich5
8 months ago

These are also other translations. Maybe...

emails -> e-maily
Emails -> E-maily

Last edited 8 months ago by kalich5 (previous) (diff)

#4 @kalich5
8 months ago

@dd32 ping :-) reminding myself

#5 follow-up: @dd32
8 months ago

Just noting that I've looked into it, and there's a lot of strings to deal with, but it should be fine, I just need to test it a little more completely and add some logging so I can undo anything that's accidentally more than anticipated.

As an example of some auto-created waiting strings: https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/test-plugin-3/dev/cs/default/

#6 in reply to: ↑ 5 ; follow-up: @kalich5
8 months ago

Replying to dd32:

Just noting that I've looked into it, and there's a lot of strings to deal with, but it should be fine, I just need to test it a little more completely and add some logging so I can undo anything that's accidentally more than anticipated.

As an example of some auto-created waiting strings: https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/test-plugin-3/dev/cs/default/

This is how it's perfect for me. I will go through it step by step manually and edit it.

#7 in reply to: ↑ 6 @dd32
8 months ago

Replying to kalich5:

This is how it's perfect for me. I will go through it step by step manually and edit it.

Sounds good, I'll probably run the process for other projects tomorrow, I'll try to keep a log of affected projects.

One question, should I set a date cutoff? For example, this string from 2011 from a core project that's no longer relevant doesn't really need a new string added. (It'd suggest E-mailová adresa administrátora sítě webů).

Maybe I can just ignore any core project (`/wp/*`) except for 5.6.x development?

#8 @kalich5
8 months ago

In terms of time, don't ignore anything.

In terms of projects, ignore... I have already fixed these 3 parts.

  • WordPress Core
  • Meta project
  • Apps project

Generate new translations and fixes only in plugins and templates.

#9 @kalich5
8 months ago

@dd32 ping :-) reminding myself

#10 @kalich5
7 months ago

@dd32 ping :-)

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #polyglots by tobifjellner. View the logs.


7 months ago

#12 @kalich5
6 months ago

@dd32 ping :-)

#13 @dd32
6 months ago

Sorry for the delay here, there's been a few things that complicated the process I had tried to do.. I ended up having to ditch it entirely and approach it another way..

These are also other translations. Maybe...
email -> e-mail
emails -> e-maily

I've got a processing running through these (There's only 2,284 of them apparently), but for now did not touch these variants, for not knowing how they're actually translated:

  • emailu
  • emailů
  • emailům
  • emailech
  • emailová
  • emailové
  • emailovou
  • emailových
  • a bunch more that I don't have on hand

If you can tell me that it should apply to email* => e-mail* then I can follow up with a second round for all other translation words that start with "email*"

Last edited 6 months ago by dd32 (previous) (diff)

#14 @kalich5
6 months ago

I've already edited the first part. And I approved everything or modified it a bit.

Otherwise, it's all words that start with email*. To translate the e-mail* and still the others.

  • e-mailu
  • e-mailů
  • e-mailům
  • e-mailech
  • e-mailová
  • e-mailové
  • e-mailovou
  • e-mailových

#15 @dd32
6 months ago

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from accepted to closed

The rest of these should now be done.

As a side effect, it looks like some invalid translations were added, such as changing https://example.com/email/ to https://example.com/e-mail/ keep an eye out for any URL changes while approving strings (They should have warnings attached.. hopefully)

#16 @kalich5
6 months ago

Thank you, I check every translation. So I'll be careful about the links. Thank you very much.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.