Making WordPress.org

Opened 8 months ago

Last modified 2 weeks ago

#3284 reopened defect

Character bug on profile name

Reported by: jranavas Owned by:
Milestone: Priority: low
Component: Profiles Keywords:


I realized one bug when you select a latin character (at least with "ó"):

In the second point, is not a browser bug, the code don't show the name.

Attachments (1)

image.png (16.0 KB) - added by jranavas 8 months ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (15)

8 months ago

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #meta by jranavas. View the logs.

8 months ago

#2 @SergeyBiryukov
8 months ago

  • Component changed from General to Profiles

#3 @jranavas
8 months ago

  • Resolution set to worksforme
  • Status changed from new to closed

Appears solved with the new WP.org theme update!

Also, ticket #3249 can be closed.


Last edited 8 months ago by SergeyBiryukov (previous) (diff)

#4 @jranavas
8 months ago

  • Resolution worksforme deleted
  • Status changed from closed to reopened

Now just reappeared

#5 @obenland
6 months ago

@otto42 Has this never been a problem before? Where would I start debugging this, I'm unfortunately zero familiar with Profiles.

#6 follow-up: @Otto42
6 months ago

His name is showing up on the profile for me right now, so doesn't appear to be an issue.

However, this is likely a symptom of a deeper problem with regard to our database tables. That's a whole other bucket of worms. Dion knows more about the problem than I do, but the short of it is that all the tables are using latin1 instead of utf8, and we're storing utf8 data in them, and the hyperDB database later has various issues with converting, and so on.

It's not an easy problem and I just tend to spot fix when I find them. ATM, this seems to be a fixed problem specifically on profiles.

#7 @jranavas
6 months ago

Thanks for looking at this.
Maybe when I updated the profile from WP admin profile was fixed.
For now It's solved but tell me if I can test anything.

#8 in reply to: ↑ 6 @obenland
6 months ago

Replying to Otto42:

His name is showing up on the profile for me right now, so doesn't appear to be an issue.

For me too, which makes it all the more interesting. I changed my name to Kónståntîn Obénland, and it's not showing. :)

@dd32 Any idea about how to best fix this?

#9 @jranavas
6 months ago

Hmmmm interesting @obenland, try to change it on https://wordpress.org/wp-admin/profile.php
That solved my name, maybe it is stored different than in profiles?

#10 @dd32
6 months ago

This is something to do with the fact that buddypress.org/profiles.wordpress.org is forced into utf8 mode where as every other site on w.org (and the shared database being used for it all) is latin1.
I don't know why BuddyPress is using utf8, I think the idea was to solve this kind of problem, but it only causes more of them IMHO.

I'm not sure of the best way forward myself, as I'm not sure where the issue is.

Probably need to track down where the data is being inserted or retrieved incorrectly, or maybe even a cache being retrieved and fix the DB collation for the query - There's a few places where we do something akin to $current_collation = $wpdb->.....; $wpdb set as utf8; $wpdb->get_results(); $wpdb set as $current_collation to temporarily switch types.

I know there's another ticket for a Profiles refresh, unfortunately I doubt that'll fix the DB issues and we'll probably end up building more of these issues in.

To debug, one option may be to temporarily disable memcache for your sandbox and see if when it's using just straight DB access if things break or not. Unfortunately disabling memcache will probably result in some really bad queries and super-slow page loads for certain things that might mean debugging is impossible.

#11 @ocean90
5 months ago

#3249 was marked as a duplicate.

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #meta by obenland. View the logs.

5 weeks ago

#13 @ocean90
2 weeks ago

#3696 was marked as a duplicate.

#14 @kalich5
2 weeks ago

I have the same problem https://profiles.wordpress.org/skaut

The error has been reported for more than half a year. She would want to fix it at last!

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.